This year for GCC’s Write 6 x 6 I have decided to put together a series of posts based on the 2019 finalists for the Aspen Prize for Community College Excellence. I’ve chosen this topic because I always like to see what high achievers are doing so I can learn from them. My focus will be primarily on Academic Advisement and student support in alignment with Guided Pathways.
Every two years, the Aspen Institute selects ten community colleges who have improved student success rates and ultimately awards one with a $1 million dollar prize. This year’s winner will be announced in April.
The Aspen Prize for Community College Excellence recognizes exceptional achievements in four areas:
- Student learning;
- Certificate and degree completion while in community college and after transferring to a four-year institution;
- Employment and earnings rates after graduation; and
- Access for and success of students of color and low-income students.
Here are the Community Colleges in alphabetical order who made the list for 2019:
- Alamo Colleges District – Palo Alto College – San Antonio, TX
- Broward College – Fort Lauderdale, FL
- CUNY Kingsborough Community College – Brooklyn, NY
- Indian River State College – Fort Pierce, FL
- Miami Dade College – Miami, FL
- Mitchell Technical Institute – Mitchell, SD
- Odessa College – Odessa, TX
- Pasadena City College – Pasadena, CA
- Pierce College at Fort Steilacoom – Lakewood, WA
- San Jacinto College – Pasadena, TX
These are colleges I’ve wanted to explore but really haven’t had the time. I’m inspired by Write 6×6 and even though I am ridiculously busy, I know this is important so here I am …. writing to learn for myself and anyone else who wants to come along for the ride. All aboard for the Aspen road trip! Buckle up as we head for our first stop at Palo Alto College in San Antonio, Texas.
One thought on “2019 Finalists for the Aspen Prize for Community College Excellence”
This is going to be fun! Road Trip!