I don’t know how I ended up with this idea, but I love it. Thinking about dreams for improving my job led me to one of my favorite authors, Austin Kleon. I found one of his books years ago while browsing at Urban Outfitters and I’ve been a fan ever since. He writes about work and the creative process in a fun, meaningful way.
- He writes short chapters.
- He draws simple illustrations that make sense.
- His books are fun to read and teach life-changing ideas at the same time.
- He writes in lists and bullet points.
- I love reading his stuff.
I flipped through his book, Steal Like an Artist to find inspiration for this post. So now, I’m stealing from page 108 with the following idea: Write Fan Letters. Here is a loose quote, “If you truly love somebody’s work, write them a public fan letter. Write a blog post about someone’s work that you admire and link to their site. Write something and dedicate it to your hero.”
- Who better to write about than the author of this idea?
- Austin Kleon, this post is dedicated to you.
Check out his website:
Watch a video:
Read his books:
- Whose work do you admire?
- Write them a fan letter.