Since my hero Austin Kleon writes in bullet points, I think I will too. Here are a few thoughts about dealing with difficult situations in a positive way.
The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
- The Four Agreements is a tiny book filled with enormous wisdom.
- Take Away Message: Don’t take anything personally.
- “Personal importance, or taking things personally, is the maximum expression of selfishness because we make the assumption that everything is about me.” Great quote from Chapter 3, page 48.
- Avoid the urge to be right and make everyone else wrong.
- Bottom Line: In a difficult situation, don’t take it personally because everyone lives in their own reality. Their anger is about them, not you. Even if they say something ugly, that’s their ugliness. Don’t make it yours too.
- Try to accept and support others without passing judgment.
- Starting from a point of unconditional positive regard will probably improve any situation.
If all else fails, lighten your mood.
- Imagine your current difficult situation is happening in a sitcom.
- Think about a silly sign. Here are a few examples: